A Criminal Conviction Can Sometimes Be Overturned with an Appeal

By January 12, 2017 No Comments

Being convicted of a crime, especially if it’s a sex crime, drug crime, DUI, or felony theft, can carry significant ramifications to your freedom and long-term quality of life. Even if you serve a full sentence, pay your fines, perform your community service or meet other sentencing requirements, the conviction can still impact your life. You might have to register for public notice or you will be unable to meet future employment requirements.

Even if you’ve been found guilty at your original trial, an appeal might still be a viable option.

Here at Pawelek Law, PLLC, our staff and attorney, Dennis Pawelek, can provide appeals and writs to help preserve your legal rights if you believe mistakes were made during the initial prosecution.

An appeal is essentially a petition to a higher court requesting a new trial if you believe a critical error was made during your original trial. This might include the judge making a material mistake or your original defense lawyer behaved in a manner that impaired the effectiveness of their defense. This could also involve new evidence being brought to light that wasn’t available during the trial. If the appeal is accepted by the higher court, Pawelek Law, PLLC will review your case and examine witness testimonies and trial transcripts for the evidence needed to exonerate you.

A writ is similar to an appeal but it specifically deals with items such as improper action on the part of the court, issues that were not on record, or a violation of your constitutional rights. Writs are a mandate from a higher court seeking changes in a lower court. They serve to prevent errors from occurring in the lower court to ensure that you receive your full legal rights.

If you have been convicted of a crime in the state of Utah and you are interested in filing an appeal or writ to preserve your rights and freedoms, you should call 801-722-8918 to seek justice with Pawelek Law.